SuperMoto Junkie banner

KLX 450R Supermoto

62K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  Pistondriven 
#1 ·
I just bought a street legal KLX 450R. I LOVE this bike! I had a DRZ 400sm and a RM 250. This bike falls safely in the middle performance wise. I have suspension mods and brake upgrades on order at Fast Bike Industries. Updates to follow....

See less See more
#3 ·
Scored a Moto Master 4 piston caliper. Ive been having an Idle issue. The previous owner told me the carb had been jetted for the Pro Circut slip on. But, upon further investigation the Smog bits were not removed and the air box was not opened up. This tells me the carb probably wasnt jetted. I ordered a JD jet kit and a AIS removal kit.

#5 ·
I've been wondering if you were ever gonna show us the bike, you hid it over in the Kawasaki section where only the weirdo's hang out. :infrandom I missed it.

But I like it!

I knew you couldn't go long without a bike. :lol:

#12 ·
Thanks for your help on the tires, the 150 rear fits like you said but no issues. I got to ride it some this weekend and noticed that it could be geared a little higher. If you don't mind me asking what f/r sprockets are you running. When I figure out how to post a pic I'll put one up. Thanks.

#15 ·
I mounted up my Warp 9's tonight on the KLX450R. 5'' in the back on a Shinko 705...no rubbing from the chain. It's actually the most tight on the right side...the tire barely clears but that's all that matters.

I'll post pics as soon as I can. The front Shinko 705 looks like a monster truck tire at 120/90 but it's good for a little bit of offroad. I went with 14/40 gearing. I'm having some front spacer issues that I hope to get resolved by the morning with a call to Kevin at Warp 9. I'll keep you posted. :thumbup:

#17 ·
I am running the stock speedo, but you can't run it with the Warp 9's...no pick-up for it. They give you 2 spacers for the front, with no instructions, and one is longer than the other. Neither combination of the 2 worked last night but it was late. I'm going to work on it some more right now. I have a Vapor off of my CRF450X that I am gonna mount up somehow.

One set's for the KTM 450EXC and one set's for the KLX450R: :bannana:

#21 ·
Klx450r

Sweet bikes guys. I just joined this site so I could troll around and get inspiration for my new KLX450R. Just bought it last week -- a brand new leftover 08. Paid about $5500 out the door after sales tax and title. Now Im going to make it street legal.
First thing I want to get is 17" wheels and street tires. After looking into it, I think to use the stock KLX450R speedo I have to use an OEM hub. They are about $150 new from Kaw, and they only come in one color. I supose I could have it anodized.
What rims and spokes do you recommend for lacing to the stock dirtbike hubs? Ideally I want something close to a 600cc sportbike wheel/tire combo. Just curious what will fit vs what is recommended?

#22 ·
Check Motostrano for hub selection. If you must use stock,you can annodize or powder coat. Any 17" hoop with 36 holes for japanese hubs will work. Stay away from euro hoops/hubs,they are different. Buchannan makes spokes for either. Even the euro to jap hubs/hoops. Easiest is using stock hubs. Excel,warp 9, or DNA are popular brands. Good Luck and ask questions,we be glad to help.

#23 ·
klx450r option for drz400sm

help guys..
i need to know how to wire the kawi light to my dizzer..
it looks sweet but its no good on the bench..
has anyone done this before?
i need exact wire colours to match to what they are on the drz?
anything would be helpfull
thanx alot:headscrat

#34 ·
Anyone ever swap that 450 headlight assembly on a 250sf?? Thinking about doing it, dont see why it wouldn't be a direct bolt on fit?

BTW what is armor tape? Where to buy? As that looks pretty trick..

#35 ·
^^ What he said. Dave, the bike is sick. I love the look of that 450 headlight over the stock US spec SF assembly. Still though, thats secondary right now (cosmetics) . In the (slow) process of making as much power as I can with the SF for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.