SuperMoto Junkie banner

Supermoto Stunt Build

64K views 60 replies 22 participants last post by  Douglas Alfredo Chartier 
#1 ·
im building a WR450 in to a supermoto stunt bike & im not having much luck with the build. im trying to run a WRX FTi dual caliper hand brake & its just not working for me:damn::damn::damn:

the X runs a 230mm disk & im not able to find one, then the X run 5mm bolts and the WRF runs 6mm bolts, so ill just have to drill the disk if i can get one. ive only just ordered the 17s so they will be a while befor they gat here, im waiting on some stunt pegs that where held by customs for 10 days before passing them onto aust post, who now have a heap of staff on strike, so mail is not moving much:damn::damn::damn:

the WRF axel is 0.2mm larger than the X, got that sorterd today:clap:

then there is heaps of clearences issues with the FTi bracket, so that going to take a fair bit of machining, the custom bike shop i use closed today for 3 weeks:damn::damn::damn:

then i have not started to think about making the subframe, i want to run stunt pegs with possible 12 bar with stock plastics, its going to take a bit to sort that out, but im not going to start that till the get the wheels fited and hand brake working

im thinking i wish i did not buy so 17s for the WRF and just traded it o a X and spent the $1g on performence parts, then just bolted up some stunt parts, no custom parts needed.............

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
Oh my bad... I still think you have to bend the exhaust underneath the tail and have a custom subframe though right?

#4 ·
Just stick with the build and you will have a sick bike in the long run, wrx is fun, but not a 450. They are slow and spongy soft suspension, that wr has mad power! You might be able to run an adapter style handbrake with supermoto rear caliper, its not as crazy strong as the dual caliper, but works pretty good. Subframe shouldnt be to hard to build. Keep at it, and you will solve all the problems and get it built. At least you know how to build it, thats that hardest part.

#8 ·
the reason im doin a WR450 is that there street legal from the dealer over here, and a few minor things like electric start, wide ratio gear box, larger fuel tank, larger radiators, bullet proff motor, holds more oil than yz..........

yeah it will be sweet once i get it built, just nothing seams to be working atm

once i get it all sorted and im happy with it im thinking bout fuel injecting it, dont know yet, it would be sweet to have like a fully stunt ready WR450X

#9 ·
Fuel Injection is over rated IMO, my CRF is stock carb and runs like a tractor, If I need to change fuel ratios, I just need a screwdriver and jets, not laptop, powercomander, or whatever super expensive equipment is needed. My aprilia was fuel injuected and I had to sell it cuz it wouldn't run when I popped it up into a circle, and I had no way to fix it without a computer lab, the dealer couldn't even fix it! I hope I don't have problems like that with the WR, seems to run pretty good so far.

#10 · (Edited)
It took me a long time to get my CRF450X to a point where it was fun to stunt on. Sorting the handbrake out was hard. This was way before Full throttle came out with the dual caliper setup. But that not nearly as time consuming as figuring out the perfect spot to place the rear pegs. I did lots and lots of welding and grinding. It looked like crap but it worked.

Oh yah, and like ryan said, I never had a problem with the carb except for fuel coming out of the overflow at certain angles. All i did was get the JD jet kit.

If i had to make a stunt only motard all over again, i'd stick with a CRF-R or YZ type race bike. The subframes are much easier to do custom fab work on.

#14 ·
That looks sick man... I may steal some of your ideas for my yz...

Question: Although not directly stunt related...

If I have a 08 yz450f with 48mm forks that are already factory connection setup for motocross...

Can I buy any yz450f forks that are 48mm (04-05-06-07)
Then get them set up with stiffer springs for street so I can swap back and forth from street to dirt without having to buy a 08 set? (I know the brake mount is different)

#15 ·
this build is doing my head in:damn::damn::damn:

the post office sent some parts back to the usa for no reason, they cleared customs and they put them on a boat back there & no one can tell me why or when they will get there, could be over a month, ive been waiting for a month for them already.....

i got my 17's today and the spacers dont fit:damn:

the rear axel is 3mm smaller than the hole in the spacer, & the front spacer needs to be 8mm longer........

#26 ·
sure do! the caliper bracket is at the shop gettin some work done, then ive got to shave a bit of the foot pegs, then the subframe, i dont know what to do about that tho, a 12 bar or a foot bar, either way ill need a steel sub frame made to thake the stunt pegs...

#35 ·
nah, not yet! im on holidays atm, ive been on hols for the last 2 months traveling around Australia, then im still on hols for another 4 months OS, Dibai, Eygpt, Uk, Europe, Turkey & 3 weeks muay thai kickboxing in Thailand. i was going to do 2 months in the states but the visa people would not let me in cuz of to many " drunkin incendents" as they called it

ill be home next week for 2 weeks, im planing on building the sub then, but i dont know if i can my hands on a TIG when i want it...

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.