SuperMoto Junkie banner

DRZ400SM oil consumptions?

16K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  cobongo 
#1 ·
I know different makes of bikes along with mileage and how you treat a bike over time can have an effect on a motor (in this regards, oil consumption) or if bad enough, damage to the engine.

My concern is about my DRZ's oil consumption. Mine of course is an '06 with just a smidge under 10,000miles now. I regularily check my bike over before each ride and usually once a week, I will check the oil level. Keeping track of the mileage per oil level check, I've been noticing at approximately 400/450 miles I will go from the full mark on the dipstick to the low mark (engine hot). Topping it off doesn't take a whole lot of course to go from low to high mark. Prolly like a measuring cup's worth.

My riding? I typically commute 5 days a week about 14 miles one way with speeds around 45/55mph. Yeah, I do romp on it a lot each day. I also ride 3 days a week some night rides that go about 120 miles in one night... but those speeds are around 70/75mph maintained. I do not do any track.

I have a Trail Tech Vapor dash/speedo and have my speed dialed in perfect (use of GPS to verify). My rpm's around town obviously vary... but usually spinning around 5k to 6500k rpms. My night rides on the freeway keep me spinning around 6500/6900rpms non-stop usually for an hour or so each way.

My sprocket set up is 16t / 38t
Engine oil is Motorex 10w/50 full synthetic
K&N oil filter
K&N air filter
Yoshimura full Ti exhaust system w/JD jetting kit

So just curious, is this amount of oil used in stated mileage something to be of concern for, or is this typical for this type of riding? Never owned a single cylinder bike before...

See less See more
#2 ·
sorry i cant answer your question but i ride an 07 with 9500 on it and it doesn't use any oil at all...and i ride the crap out of my bike everyday. change the oil every 2k. never seen it low on the stick...

#4 ·
hmmm mine didnt use a single drop, until the last day it went to the low mark in 70 miles :O i was wondering could it be crank breather letting it flow out during long wheelies? cos mines just started using/losing oil and im slightly worried now.... doesnt smoke at all either....

#5 ·
+2....jst hit 10,000 on mine and doesn;t use up any oil at all. I don't really even check mine regularly. I usually change it out every 800-1000 miles, or after each track day, whichever comes 1st:D

#6 ·
I think you need to verify how much oil you have to add exactly. 450 miles is quite a distance so if you only have to add a couple 100 ml's I'd say you have nothing to worry about yet. motorex 10w50 oil runs pretty thin, so thin that it can cause a wee bit of oil use on some bikes. I use the same stuff in my ktm because it's what they recommend and I can get it pretty cheap. the easiest way to verify if the oil itself is to blame is simply changing to a different oil and see if the motor still consumes.

if the oil use becomes excessive there might be a problem, most common issues for oil use (if you are sure there are no external leaks) is defective valve guide seals or worn out piston rings that no longer seal properly.

#7 ·
Makes some good sense there. I know it is not burning badly or even a slight amount from what I can visualy see anyhow.

Oil wise, I figured the 10w 50 would be better.... no? Would a 20w 50 be better? Since I live in Arizona.... and our summer is god awfull hot here, would that be a better choice then?

#8 ·
I have an 07 drz400sm. It goes through a little oil too. I ride just about every day. I got it about a month ago and have put 1000 miles on it! I ride pretty hard but not as hard as a lot im sure. I never see or smell oil, i just notice it gets a little lower on the stick. When i do my oil change, i actually overfill it just a little so i comprnsates and it stays in the good area till next oil change. (is this bad?) i figure im gonna run the hell out of it till she pukes then ill rebuild the motor and give it the power that bike needs.

#9 ·
08, 26k miles. totally tortured from mile 0.. i burn about the same amount as you (from top of the stick to bottom of the stick) every 4-500 miles or so.. i use 10w40 valvoline motorcycle oil from advanced auto and change it about every 2500 miles.. (yeah, flame on.. but it works for me :D )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.