SuperMoto Junkie banner

drz400sm restrictor

8K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Carl Howell 
#1 ·
hey guys great site.need some help just bought 09 drz400sm uk spec a few months back which was restricted from the shop.Does anyone know how its done or more to the point how do i undo it? Any help would great. cheers folks

#6 ·
What law?? Yours? The bike comes from the factory like that, its not restricted its how it is, you have to buy performance parts to get more out of it.:headscrat
Do some searching in here you'll find what you need.

#10 ·
I have a friend in England, and she said the same thing. You could get a CBR600RR, and they'd have to restrict it down to around that. I don't know the specifics, though.

#12 ·
Yea im a big NSR, TZR fan and they are restricted as well in he UK. I would guess that it has an exhaust plate somewhere in it. I would check either where the header meets the head or silencer. Then jet to match. ( i would just put a jet kit in at that point anyway)

#13 ·
In the UK if you pass your test when your under 21 you are restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. After 2 years your allowed any power. You can have any bike as long as its 33bhp (can be a busa if you want lol).

Restriction wise its often a washer in the carb inlet but I'm not sure on a DRZ. How much travel has the throttle got and can anyone else with a DRZ measure theirs to help him out. Changing the jetting wouldn't restrict it, just make it run very lean. Some bikes are restricted by the CDI/ECU. Then you would need to buy a standard one and just change it over.

I very much doubt its restricted with a washer in the exhaust. The bikes are only restricted for people with the restricted licence. You can still buy a full power DRZ if you have a full unrestricted licence.

#14 ·
I very much doubt its restricted with a washer in the exhaust. The bikes are only restricted for people with the restricted licence. You can still buy a full power DRZ if you have a full unrestricted licence.
Thats why i think its something simple. I remember NSR's being restricted by a carb and exhaust, Here is a link with some pics to help.http://members.lycos.co.uk/roylee20/twodescphotos0.html

And about the jetting, i would think after you de-restrict it you would have to rejet to get the most out of it.

After doing some research though i think it may just be a throttle stop in or on the carb.

Let us know what you find out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.