SuperMoto Junkie banner

Indoor Flat Track Racing! Salem Oregon

17K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  chester3000 
#1 ·
Flat track racing indoors!

WHAT: Motorcycles, quads and lawn mowers.

Where?...Oregon State Fairgrounds...Salem Oregon

"We're going to run flat track, quads, vintage flat track, what else, lawn mowers, if they show up," Leach said. "We're going to stuff it full."

Nov. 21-22,
Dec. 4,
Jan. 8,
an. 22,
Feb. 6-7.

links to some info on the events...

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20091015/SPORTS/910150323/1018/ducks

http://www.flattrack.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=46&func=view&catid=15&id=68969

For more info contact >>>
Bob Leach....541-981-1200

See less See more
#18 ·
Think I might cruise over. No idea what to do but it sounds like you get enough practice to figure it out. Anyone I know going to be there? Sucks to be the new guy without any friends. Already been through that in 08 when I first started riding SM.

#20 ·
What I learned about Flat Track- By Jeremy Kendall

1. Run your same settings as SM. Do not run your moto suspension settings or forget the compression adjusting tool for your forks on the counter at the shop. Soft suspension isn't they way.
2. Maybe dont run 22 psi cold in your rain tires, unless you want to wash out and eat some salem fairgrounds/ horse poo dirt.
3. Flat track is not easy. Do not show up thinking it is easy, that is a mistake.
4. DO take Sticky Nicky with you to the races. Your bike will never be out of gas due to his compulsive urge to top off your tank.
5. I never ran out of gas.
6. This was the first time in a while that I have truly sucked at anything. This was important because I thought I was a good all around rider. Nothing quite like getting taken down a few notches to keep you in check!

In all seriousness, it was fun. I bet it is REALLY fun on a bike that is purposefully built for it!

#23 ·
Sounds like fun. No, it has to be fun. Indoor short rack is amazingly good fun. Sort of like boxing w/dirt bikes. Is the track in Salem clay, or more fluffy? My most recent experience was at Mickey Fay's clay track in Puyallup. I've sold the sumo kit off my KTM and have it back on knobs, so nothing appropriate set up for this year. But I'm actually starting to move some projects, and my old Ducati flat tracker is coming up soon. It's still recovering from that broken connecting rod. Maybe I'll have it done in time for next winter. :thumbup:

Attachments

#24 ·
The track is 'clay-ish' dirt. It holds up amazingly well. Bob Leach does an exceptional job of prepping the track. Some of the pro-level racers say it is the best and fastest indoor they have ever ridden. There are several knobby classes so lack of tires is no excuse. When I saw there were going to be knobby classes I was pretty worried that the track was going to get torn up but that has not been an issue.

The whole thing has been pretty casual so far with the promoters making up classes as needed to help get more people involved. Last night I took a quick walk around the pits and counted 129 bikes. There is a pretty big CT70 class - at least a dozen riders. Those guys might be having more fun than anybody.

We also hear that the Leaches will be doing some outdoor evening FT races on a new oval in Albany this summer and are going to build a new permanent outdoor dirt oval at the State fairgrounds. The plan calls for flattrack racing during the state fair and events at least once a month when weather permits.

You better get that Ducati project moved up on the priority list.
Gene Romero's schedule shows 6 FT races in Oregon this year.
06/04 Willamette Speedway, Lebanon
06/05 Sunset Speedway, Banks
07/16 Southern Oregon Speedway, Medford
07/17 Southern Oregon Speedway, Medford
08/13 Willamette Speedway, Lebanon
08/14 Sunset Speedway, Banks

Between Gene Romero's series and Bob Leach's plans it looks like flattrack racing in Oregon is back in a big way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.