SuperMoto Junkie banner

Tires for your street SM

407K views 764 replies 299 participants last post by  BlackPanther 
#1 ·
#678 ·
A 150/70 compared to a 150/60 is a big, heavy, tall, stiff tire with a much flatter/square profile. Just get a 150/60 and save yourself the trouble.

#682 ·

Finally starting to trust my pilot powers.

#684 ·
Has anyone run Shinko tires on their tard? I've heard they are wide, does anyone know of any truth behind this?
i just got rid of my street sm tires for the shinko 705s... big mistake. I absolutely should have went with the distanzias. The 705s are heavy, don't come in true sm sizes, so you would essentially have to run a weird sized rear on the front. I've given them time and can't stand them. save yourself the hassle. buy distanzias or pilot powers.

#685 ·
So, I was at the shop getting tires today, and apparently they no longer make the regular Pilot Power in a 150, but they now do make the 2CT in a 150. Anyways, the guy at the shop thought the Pirelli Rosso II was a better tire, so I bought those. It'll be a bit before I'll really be able to try them, and I'm a wuss anyways, but I just thought that was interesting

#688 ·
#690 ·
DR650 Commuter SM Tire Suggestions

Hello all-

I recently bought a set of SM wheels for my DR650. I commute 50% of the miles on my bike, so I was getting tired of burning through my knobbies.

The current tires on the SM Wheels are:

Bridgestone BattleAX BT45

Front 110/70-17
Rear 140/70-17

I have read that optimal sizes for my bike are:

Front 120/70-17
Rear 150/70-17

I am looking for a high mileage tire that will only see corners on the weekend.

I am currently looking at the Michelen PP3 or the Pirelli Rosso2.

Any suggestions for tire sizes and brand are appreciated.

I ride in the Arizona Desert. I am not sure if hot roads make a difference, but I am planning on roasting in 110 degree weather soon.

#692 ·
I will try to get a picture up of the clearance between my chain and tire sidewall. It doesn't seem like there is much clearance between the 140 70 17.

I know that a 160 doesn't work well on the DR, but I wonder if the 150 will squeeze in.

The Rosso 2 comes in 150/60ZR-17 and 140/70HR-17.

What would be the difference between the two?

#693 ·
I honestly loved the Distanzias on my husky 510. They had insane grip on tarmac for what kind of tire it was. I took it to the track once with them and was VERY confident with the grip. Never felt hesitant to push them or lean farther. They do decent for light offroading too. With a bike that makes 51whp and weighs 275lb wet, it's hard to get anything to hookup off pavement. But I did a ton of fire roads, jeep trails and the occasional mx track with them. I'm probably going to go with something like the Pirelli MT60 flat track style tire for my next set.

#695 ·
I just put on the Avon Distanzias for summer riding. They were on sale and I figure I will have burned through them come winter so I also purchased a set of Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S-20 EVO hoping they will keep me upright in the wind and heavy rain through the twisties found throughout the redwood highway.. check em out if you're more into keeping it on the street w/ good grip and great lean angles and less interested in taking the long way home...

#698 · (Edited)
Bike: 2010 Husky 510SMR
Current Tires: stock Dunlop D253
Sizes:
F: 120/70/17
R: 150/60/17

Mileage:1221mi

My rear D253 is to the wear bars. I bought the bike used with 1058mi on it, so don't have a lot of time on the D253s but I liked them enough that I'd get them again.

The only issue is that they're not available in the U.S. market. I even emailed Dunlop USA and they said I'm out of luck.

I looked at the Distanzas but I'm concerned they won't have the on-road grip I'm looking for.

Riding style:
--aggressive street blasts and possible track days.
--I'm not concerned with longevity or tire life, I'm looking for maximum grip.

I run Diablo Supercorsa SPs on my sport bikes and absolutely love them. I even have an extra set ready to go, but I can't fit a 180 rear on my Husky.

It also appears the SPs do not come in 150/60/17 so I'd be stuck with something like the Diablo Rosso II since I think that's the only 150/60 Pirelli makes. Last I heard, those were more mileage and sport touring tires with far less grip than the SPs. If I'm wrong and someone here's ridden them and they're fantastic, please let me know. Im biased towards Pirelli due to overwhelming positive experience (even run Pirelli on my cars as a result).

I was looking at the Conti SMs but recent reviews seem to paint them as a poor tire choice.

I've had and completely hated Q2s, and won't fit them to anything I own.

I had Michelin PPs before switching to the Pirelli SPs, so my opinion of them from several years ago was that they weren't as good as the SPs, but perhaps they're better than what else is available in the limited selection of 150/60?

Or what about Battlax BT-003RS or the new Dunlop R300?

Can you run a different tire on the stock rim? It looks like it's close with the 150/60 so I'm betting a 160 would rub (though 160 widths seem to have more tire options).

Stock rear rim, btw.
(4"?)

Thanks in advance!

SC

#699 ·
Bike: 2010 Husky 510SMR
Current Tires: stock Dunlop D253
*snap*
Stock rim is 4.25 in the rear, meaning it'd be best just to stick with a 150. It's not impossible at all to run 160's, I've done it once with a set, but not ideal, and it's not what the designers of the tyre intended you to do with it. Because you squeeze the tyre it will become more oval (pointy-wise), this will result in less rubber making contact with the street, and your tyres wearing out quicker, especially in the beginning.

When looking for tyres, try mentioning the climate and such. I'm running a Distanzia 150 in allroad compound (harder than supermoto) on the SMR, had it on my 125 two stroke too, also in the Winter. This one is abit too hard for a supermoto in cold or wet conditions imo. However, when I bought this tyre they didn't made the 150 yet in supermoto compound, on only 160 had that. So when I wear out this one (can take a while!) I'll transfer to SM compound. During the summer, when dry this tyre is more than excellent, especially on the 510. Can't say for the front tyre though, never used that one.

If you really don't care for longevity you could also go with a Goldspeed Intermediate and choose a compound according to your climate. Great tyres, but the rear wears rather quickly. I don't know about availability in the US of A though.

#700 ·
PS: small question,

can anyone recommend supermoto rain tyres that come in the size 110mm? I'm trying to find a rain front tyre for my MX125 with a 3.0x17 inch front rim for in the winter, but they all seems to be 120mm only...:hmmm:

#708 ·
No, it was from Bluekollarmotorsports(EBAY). They sold me a tire, took my money, then reversed the transaction and re-listed the tire for double the price. In their email they said they didnt realize they were out of stock. Watch out for those guys.

I found the one for $88 + $10 shipped (150/60/17 supermoto compound). Thanks for the heads up, I ordered today and it shipped same afternoon. Everything looks good so far, there's one left in stock if anyone needs it, can't beat the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avon-AM44-D...ash=item567e2ed93f:g:EXsAAMXQC-tTAkfp&vxp=mtr

#709 ·
I got my 160 from Dennis Kirk, $179 shipped. Then up popped the one on eBay for $109 from the guys you got yours from. Mine has 70 dollars worth of better rubber, guaranteed.:rofl:

I'm a happy camper, should have them back on the bike Saturday morning. Wheelies by noon.:rolleyes2:

#713 ·
New AVON Trailrider TIres

Has anyone tried the new AVON Trailrider tires? They are supposed to have replaced the Distanzia. I was considering using the Heidenau K73 but those trailrider tires have me re-thinking what to run. Cam.

#714 ·
Has anyone tried the new AVON Trailrider tires? They are supposed to have replaced the Distanzia. I was considering using the Heidenau K73 but those trailrider tires have me re-thinking what to run. Cam.
The Trailriders are over priced Shinko 705s. The Distanzias are still on Avon's site. Whilst searching for my Distanzias I was told they were due back this summer, even though Avon never replied to my email. The Trailriders don't come in SM compound. The Trailriders are replacements for the Distanzias, but hopefully one way or another I hope the bring a SM compound to the USofA, either the Trailriders or the Distanzias.:headscrat

#716 ·
Any tubes from anywhere.[emoji106]

To live outside the law my dear you gotta givea damn.

#721 ·
I run tubes. May weigh a bit more, but I won't notice any difference. I usually run whatever tube is cheapish- not like my tard is going to see many rocks. It's not street legal either, so no stairs in my immediate future. I've had great luck with kenda HD tubes for street supermoto. They seem to be pretty thick and beefy. I put a UHD tube in the front of a neighbor's dirt bike and it was extremely thick. In my dirt bike I just run tubliss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.