SuperMoto Junkie banner

Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

948K views 2K replies 446 participants last post by  Louis armstrong 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Recently it has become a known fact that there is a state that will allow you to mail in your information and they will mail you a plate along with a street legal title. I know that I have answered quite a few PM's concerning this question and up until recently I have been able to help some, but others, not so much. However, the information posted in this thread is quite the game changer! The state of South Dakota to getting our beloved sumo's legal in states that try to ruin the fun. For those of you who's DMV/Registration office determines a bike street legal status/ability by the VIN I'm not too sure how this would work, but if they go by the title...GAME ON! This information is coming straight from a member on here (who wishes to remain anonymous) who has successfully completed this process. Anybody else that has done this please post on here and either share your success story or give us a heads up on something to watch out for.

To get started, you will need to do the following:

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1792V1-FourWheelAllTerrainVehicleAffidavit.pdf

-you will need to fill out this form
-leave title number blank
-year, make, model
-put the name of who ever installed accessories to make the bike street legal (This can be your name)
-check all the boxes including 200cc (This is just confirming that the bike is 200cc or more)
-this form must be notarized, so don't sign it until you are in front of one

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secu...licationForMotorVehicleTitle&Registration.pdf

-fill out this form as well
-you will not need the date
-don't check any boxes in section I, section II, or section III
-fill in first box (your name)
-leave type of ownership and customer type blank
-identification# (needs to be your social security number)
-skip down and put in your address

section IV
-vin#
-put in make, model,
-body type- MC
-vehicle code- MC
-year and CC
-skip down to section V
-Just fill in purchase date

Don't need to put in anything else just sign and date the bottom

Besides these two forms, you'll need to send in the title or MSO and a copy of your driver's license. If the title isn't in your name you will have to call and find out what other forms you need (605)394-2163. You will also need to attach a note (preferably typed) that includes your name, email, phone number, and notate that you would like to pay by credit card over phone or internet and to contact you when they have a total price and are ready for payment.

Mail both forms, title/MSO, copy of Drivers license to:

Office of the Pennington County Treasurer
Pennington County courthouse
315 Saint Joseph St Suite 214
Rapid City SD 57701-2894

Additional Info.

Serial number is the same as the vin# (should be 17 characters long depending on year of bike) and you will need to send in the original title (they will be keeping your original title and sending you a new South Dakota title).

The fee is: $58.75 and a $3 credit card fee if applicable. You should receive your new title within 30 days.

note
Mlawler1 brought up a good point. Make sure to use your home address even though you're registering in S. Dakota. States only require that your bike is registered to you at your home address (so don't try and make a fake S. Dakota address). Use your address and your local police can't do anything because you're licensed and registered to your home address...just through a different state :D. Just make sure that the registration matches the information on your driver's license. (y)

See less See more
#1,174 ·
I live in Florida and I am just relaying information and my experience in this situation to try to avoid others hassle and wasting time. Not trying to burst anyones bubble. Yes, you can use this method to get a SD street title and plate. BUT, if the bike has ever been titled in Florida as an OHV, the VIN number is branded for life in the state of Florida. Therefore, you will never be able to register it as a street legal motorcycle in Fl. I have gone to two different DMV offices and a regional inspections office. All three have given me the same information. They said the only way to make this happen is to buy an out of state bike and title it in SD before bringing it to FL. I understand this thread is about getting a street legal title and plate from SD, but in Fl it is illegal to use here if you are a resident. Another option would be to buy a frame frome out of state and then do the paperwork with that but I didnt feel like going that route because I would rather just keep my bike for motocross. After a few months of trying every option available, i gave up and bought a new FZ-09 instead

#1,175 ·
I just called and talked to a very nice lady, she told me in order to plate my 125 to use the following forms, just to cover all my bases.

1) State of South Dakota Application for Motor Vehicle Title & Registration (SD E-form 0864 V18)
https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secu...licationForMotorVehicleTitle&Registration.pdf

2) FOUR WHEEL, ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE AFFIDAVIT (SD E-form 1792 V1)
https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1792V1-FourWheelAllTerrainVehicleAffidavit.pdf

3) South Dakota Affidavit For Rebuilt Motor Vehicle (SD E-form 0859 V2)
https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E0859V2-AffidavitForRebuiltMotorVehicle.pdf

4) Copy of license

5) Title/MSO

My only concern is it comes back with a rebuilt title status...
I think I might give it a go either way..

#1,176 ·
#1,182 · (Edited)
Success here

I just had to sign up and give kudos to all the folks here and this thread.. I successfully went through this for a 07 WR250f and received a END registration.. I know others that have and received a OFF registration and would encourage them to contact SD to get it resolved as the affidavit is swearing to a conversion for that option (which I did add a full kit to mine for what it's worth to be legit).. If it comes back otherwise you should question it. Maybe it is just a error but don't think it is the end.. You paid for a conversion & street title and that is what you should get.

Thanks again.. hope to see many more support SD.. I have no plans as of now to transfer to my state (NJ) unless it becomes a issues with the authorities over time.. My preference is to support SD and their laid back laws to permit this.. Heck.. I now want to go there and see what the great state is all about.. The riding seems incredible. Hopefully one day I can.

#1,198 ·
Update

I sent all my paperwork in on Monday and received a response this morning. They weren't able to process my application because some things were incomplete. I followed the instructions directly from page one. Im not disappointed because at least my foot is in the door and its an easy fix. This is the email I just received.

Zachary,

We have received the title paperwork to transfer the title and register the bike in South Dakota. I am unable to process the transfer however as some of the forms included are incomplete.

1. Title application - Your mailing address, the color of the vehicle, and the type of fuel it uses - all of these items need to be on the application.

2. Four Wheel, All Terrain Vehicle Affidavit - the address of the individual(s) who are certifying the installation of the street legal is missing. A new notarized affidavit with the address included is required.

I have attached a copy of your application with the areas that need to be completed marked with an "X". Please make the necessary corrections and return the form to me. This form can be returned by mail, email, or fax

Also attached is a new Four Wheel Affidavit. Please fill this form completely, have the signature notarized and return the original form to us.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

So the only real inconvenience is the notary but whatever. This is probably case by case but I would send in all info filled out. hope this helps someone.

#1,203 ·
I have a question

Ok, I have a question about doing this. I live in Kansas where out of state vehicles have to have the VIN inspected before they can be registered. I recently bought a Suzuki DRZ400 that was previously registered in Oklahoma which I know is street legal, but a little plate on the frame of the bike says "this bike is intended for off-road use". Well because the VIN inspection saw this they wrote on the inspection sheet that it was not registerable for street use making it so I am unable to register it in Kansas. I am wondering how i'd go about doing this given my current situation. I'm assuming that i'd just have to run SD plates if I was able to make this work for me since if I tried transferring it here i'd run into the same problem. I live in a college town so i'm not too worried about that.

#1,211 ·
Yes, with a bill of sale.

The V65 Sabre is a sleeper and I go rice rocket hunting with it

#1,213 ·
Sell it to a family member or friend,then buy it back with a notarized bill of sale.
It's not rocket surgery.[emoji106]

#1,219 ·
I'm not sure if you would have had to do it with a MSO, but with only a bill of sale they wanted me to first do a title history search to look for any previous titles the bike may have had. So I had to fill out a "SD DPPA form" (<--- google that, it's the first one that comes up.... PDF, fill it out, print, notarize, and send in). They send back a paper with the results, if no previous title was found you continue with the regular application. But when you send everything in you have to include a copy of that paper they had sent back with the results of the title history search. Part way through the process they sent me another form to fill out, basically just stating that I received no previous title from the previous owner when I bought the bike

#1,222 ·
How much did u send in? 7$? 5? Or 2?
Oh yea that part was kind of confusing..... I talked to 2 different people up there, and one said it was record search, the other said it was title history. So I just checked both boxes, sent $7 and called it a day, lol. Figured that would cover whatever. It worked fine. Also section C check the first box. Section B just put the info about the bike.... year, make, VIN, etc. And anywhere it says type, put motorcycle for everything. Don't need to put anything for section D if I remember right

#1,223 ·
Oh yea that part was kind of confusing..... I talked to 2 different people up there, and one said it was record search, the other said it was title history. So I just checked both boxes, sent $7 and called it a day, lol. Figured that would cover whatever. It worked fine. Also section C check the first box. Section B just put the info about the bike.... year, make, VIN, etc. And anywhere it says type, put motorcycle for everything. Don't need to put anything for section D if I remember right
Should I do this and all my other paper work or just this form first

#1,220 · (Edited)
I guess I should also post an update on mine too since it's been over a year now. I ran the SD tag for almost a year, when it came time to renew I decided to just go ahead and try and transfer it over. Took my SD title into the local DMV, she put it in the system and everything went through just fine.... paid my dues and she handed me a tag. About a month later I received the NC title in the mail, which has "MC" as the type. So no issues whatsoever transferring over for me..... KDX-200 btw. Still rolling right along..... put almost 10,000 miles on the ol' girl, haha :bannana:

#1,229 ·
Update for everyone...

They will check your paperwork pretty intensely for those without an MSO/title. They need a full chain of custody, affidavits, etc - its a complete nightmare.

I'm debating buying a frame with a title or MSO and just doing a swap. If the MSO has "off road use only" - would they not provide plate/title?

#1,230 · (Edited)
Okay guys, I just registered here to thank you all for contributing to this thread. I've been able to register several bikes via SD that I would not have been able to otherwise.

In regards to not having a title/MSO; I was able to get SD to issue a title for an '88 Yamaha XT out of thin air; I had no title or MSO.

Attempt #1:

1) SD Title App
2) SD Bill of Sale (BOS)
3) General Affidavit (notarized) - Here I simply stated that I purchased the bike with no title and there was no known lien or claim on it.

Result: This was rejected citing, a title or MSO was needed.

I did a bit more thinking, finally I called SD DMV; the lady basically told me they need "something" from the previous owner. I read between the lines and asked her to please return my paperwork. This was more of a strategic move; I figured I'd pose as owner, and have my GF sign the documents. Hence I didn't want Sd with two sets of paperwork for the same bike.

I let about 2 months go by, just in case.

Attempt #2
1) SD Title App
2) SD Bill of Sale (BOS) (I sold to my GF)
3) General Affidavit (notarized) - I signed as previous owner; citing a loophole in my previous state's registration laws regarding the issuance of titles for old bikes. To be honest, I don't think SD will check on the specific previous registration of a bike, but I am certain they will check on whatever rule or loophole you cite.

Please note I did not need the offroad affidavit as this bike was a factory street legal dual sport.

I do know certain states don't title bikes that are offroad or have a small engine size.

This may or may not work by making up some other BS, the worst they can say is no.

This second attempt worked, the title and registration were sent shortly thereafter. All I have to do now is transfer it to my own name rather than my GFs. Happy ending.

The moral of the story is check state DMV loopholes in regards to registrations and title issuance.

I also just plated a WR400F, to get around California's bullshit green sticker non sense. Thanks again to all.

#1,231 ·
I have a few questions,
1.) does the copy of the license I send in have to be a motorcycle license or can it be a regular drivers license?
2.) I have a bill of sale that is NOT notorized and no title (ga doesn't issue titles to dirt bikes), what if I list the sellers phone number so they can verify with him that he sold it to me? I don't want to get a friend to notorize a bill of sale with me if I don't have too.