SuperMoto Junkie banner

KTM 950 vs 990 SM

30K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  tdreyer 
#1 ·
I searched around for about 40 minutes and can't find any threads on the differences between the two bikes. I only found a 950 thread. Are these sweet machines out and who has one???
If there are other recent threads on this please direct me and forgive my post.

#12 ·
how many miles are on it?

I've seen the standard 950sm's going on cycletrader for anywhere from 7500-9k
some have 3-15k miles and are priced lower, some are still new w/0 miles left overs

that one is a R, so it would go for a bit more.

If it's got less than 5k miles on it it's a good deal.. also if it has aftermarket pipes, etc that helps sweeten the deal.

I believe the SM's went out the door new at like 11,999 (maybe)
and I think the SM-R's were more like 13,999-14,999

but by the year end you could find a SM brand new for like 9999 and a SM-R for around 11k

so if it's 9 grand and in good shape.. all the maintenence.. could be a good deal.

#13 · (Edited)
3k miles Full Leo Vince Exhast, Rizoma Grips & Mirrors!!

Full Leo Vince Exhast, Rizoma Grips and Mirrors on 3k miles!!! :thumbup:

I'll try to get if for $8500 since the Economy is BAD in California! :Funny:

Arnie just chopped off 22,000 jobs and reduced all State employees to $6.80 an hour! :eek:

Thank you for the "KTM ECONOMICS" advice!!

#18 ·
I just bought a new 09 Super Enduro and I can only say WOW this bike KICKS ASS !! I,ve been riding and racing for 38 yrs. now and this bike is the most fun I've had on two wheels !!! You will not be disappointed!! :thumbup:

#22 ·
seems like the 950 se with some spare sumo wheels/tires would be the ultimate swiss army knife of motorcycles....you never read a bad review on it....just RAVES....seems like if youre going to do dirt at all then this would be the way to go...hey...dont any sumo races have dirt and/or jumps?..if so i guess it would be more correct to say SE would be better than a dedicated sumo bike for all dirt tight motocross tracks...help...im CORNfused

#26 ·
If racing sumo is in the cards then I would NOT want anything to do with an SE. Anything that resembled an MX track would be a nightmare on a big SE. You could get around it, and I'm sure some could get around it rather well but a dedicated sumo(450) would eat it alive. If on a big road race course, the SE would be lots of fun. Probably not the best handling bike out there but it would be considerably faster than most sumos. Tighten the track up to something like a cart track and the SE would again be a hand full. But, for a street tard, with a little off road / fire road stuff thrown in, I think it would be a blast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.