SuperMoto Junkie banner

Oil and your WR250X ???? :)

21K views 57 replies 18 participants last post by  Stubbz 
#1 ·
I'm just curious as you what oil you guys use in yours? How often you change it, what your mileage is certainly?

I got my bike used with 650ish miles, the oil was changed, looked like clear honey through the glass window. < Good Feeling :D

I changed it again at 1000 miles, still looked like it was a mistake changing it again, as is was a golden honey. I changed the filter also at the time.

At 1990 miles later I changed the oil again and filter. Still looked like dark honey, but wasn't black. The only oil I've ran at this time is AMS Oil 10w40 motorcycle oil.

Now I'm at almost 3700 miles, longest the bike has gone between oil changes. Roughly 1800 miles on this oil. I know that you can go 3000 miles between changes as manufacture schedules.

I'm at a cross road, as I've seen the light. I now plan to use something most would frown upon. Got a gallon of Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40. Before you say it's crap, it's 13$ a gallon. Meets JASO MA requirements, low ash, high phosphorus and zinc, just what you need for a motorcycle wet clutch applications. My buddy used it for 13K worth of miles on his 09 Hayabusa with mods with no issue even with a 3k change schedule.

I ran the 10W40 AMS oil for the winter, as I ride even in the winter. Covers you from -10 to 110degrees. Now that it's summer the 15W40 covers you from 0-110 degrees. My problem lies in the fact you need 2 quarts(or 3 to do, 2 changes), or roughly 1.48 quarts to do the change with filter. I never really planned to run but 1500-2000 miles max on the oil. I like to keep it clean as possible, but not at 12$ a quart. With the Rotella T, you can almost change the oil and filter 3 times, with a price tag of 13$, what a quart of any other syntheic motorcycle oil costs. Pay 11-12$ a quart run it for 3K or roughly 3$ a quart and change it more often, still ahead in my book.

Lets hear your oppinions on the subject. The good, bad and ugly.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, the busa point is invalid. I've got a buddy with almost 50k on his with just regular Suzuki dyno oil. 13k miles isn't really a lot on those. Granted 50 is crazy high.

I use elf full synthetic champione in my x. Or at least I did until my shop can't get it. Now I use Suzuki synthetic. Bike has somewhere around 9k miles. I change it anywhere from 1500-2500. And I don't thing you can ride it much harder than I do...

Oil always relatively clean when it comes out.

#9 ·
:rofl: quarts < liters damn metric system people :D

1.4L = 1.48 Quarts "that was a joke" /\

1 Rotella syn
1 Other
5 AMS Oil

7 Syntheic

I've got a gallon of it, will only run it 1500 -2000 miles max. The filters, I will change every other change. I will take it out and spray it in the opposite direction of oil flow from 5-7" away, to clean it before reinstall. With good old Brakleen, yeah boy. :)

I'll let you guys know what I think of the oil compared to AMS oil. :thumbup:

#4 ·
Yamaha says you can go 3000 miles between oil changes and 6000 miles between filter changes.

Unless you are doing something really bizarre and harmful to the bike to begin with, or using really cheap-o oil I see no reason to change the oil any more frequently than Yamaha recommends.

I do change my filter with every oil change though.

I use Amsoil synthetic. I pay a high price per quart for motorcycle specific oil so I can ride the bike more than work on the bike. I easily go anywhere from 2800-3200 miles between oil and filter changes.

The wr250x is not a Husky, Aprilia, or KTM. It does not require that kind of maintenance.

#5 ·
50k is nothing for a busa those motors are so big and run a low rpm in most cases because of it they should run 150k easy without needing to be toughted for the most part.

i change mine every 1500-2000 with full synethic amsoil, mines always black but even right after a change it turns black again. these motors will run on almost anything there simply bulletproof. they do turn high rpms in many cases tho so i wouldnt go over 2k for changing um tho.

#6 · (Edited)
Amzoil every 3k with new filter... I thought about shorter intervals but that's why I pay for Amzoil, its supposed to be good to 7k so it better be good at half the interval.

#13 ·
haha

His gf that is pregnant and this bs is more important!!!!! YOUR GONNA BE A DADDY YOU FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WOULDNT HAVE THAT BIKE IF I WOULDN'T HAVE FOUND IT FOR YOU AFTER OTHER WAS STOLEN!! YOU LOOKED FOREVER BUT NO I FOUND THE BIKE!!! MAYBE GOD WILL BLESS ME AND SOMEONE WILL STEAL THIS ONE TOO MAYBE YOU WILL STRAIGHTEN UP!!! You wanna play with me all your lil friends on here are gonna know what your doing!! :headshake who walks out on there pregnant gf for a motorcycle forum are you joking!!!! Its gonna be your first born and this is the respect i get!!! yeah right for all you reading this i am his CRAZY PREGNANT GF WHO IS MADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:2hard:bringiton

#15 ·
His gf that is pregnant and this bs is more important!!!!! YOUR GONNA BE A DADDY YOU FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WOULDNT HAVE THAT BIKE IF I WOULDN'T HAVE FOUND IT FOR YOU AFTER OTHER WAS STOLEN!! YOU LOOKED FOREVER BUT NO I FOUND THE BIKE!!! MAYBE GOD WILL BLESS ME AND SOMEONE WILL STEAL THIS ONE TOO MAYBE YOU WILL STRAIGHTEN UP!!! You wanna play with me all your lil friends on here are gonna know what your doing!! :headshake who walks out on there pregnant gf for a motorcycle forum are you joking!!!! Its gonna be your first born and this is the respect i get!!! yeah right for all you reading this i am his CRAZY PREGNANT GF WHO IS MADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:2hard:bringiton
Gotta love them crazy bitches

#19 ·
^^^ oww snap!

GF is trolling and pissed lol iv never seen this before.

Ive been running mobil one racing 4t. bike seems to like it but i wanna switch to a cheaper oil like rotella. Waiting to hear some feedback before i buy a gallon of that. If the bike doesnt mind i dont see the point in spending 10 bucks a quart for mobil one.

#31 · (Edited)
lol

yeah im sure it was quite amusing when you all seen that lol For the record i also ride just haven't bought my bike yet because i am preg and cant ride this year!!!! but i will be getting the bike by end of summer to ride next yr !!!!:bike::damn: for the record i really don't want his bike stolen because i love it to much lol and then i wouldn't have someone to ride with!!! I am sorry babe for that!!!!

#32 ·
yeah im sure it was quite amusing when you all seen that lol For the record i also ride just haven't bought my bike yet because i am preg and cant ride this year!!!! but i will be getting the bike by end of summer to ride next yr !!!!:bike::damn: for the record i really don't want his bike stolen because i love it to much lol and then i wouldn't have someone to ride with!!! I am sorry babe for that!!!!
I know from experience.... All pregnant women are crazy.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.